Am I eligible to vote in the federal election?
You can vote in this federal election if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are at least 18 years old on election day
  • can prove your identity and address

When and where can I vote?
Visit the Elections Canada webpage to find your riding, polling station and hours of operation based on your home address post code.

I'm a student. What riding do I register and vote in – the one where I live with my parents or the one where I live while I attend school?
If you live in two places – one while at school, the other while away from school – choose which one you consider home and use that address to register. You vote for a candidate in the riding where your home address is located.

I'm a student. Can I vote on campus?
On election day, polls may be set up on your campus, usually in or near student residences. You can vote there only if you live on campus and consider your campus residence as your home.

I live in a hospital or long-term care facility. How do I vote? – Information for your patients, clients or residents.

Voters who live in hospitals and facilities that provide long-term care may have the extra option of voting at a mobile polling station in their residence. Elections Canada offers mobile polling stations in some residences and hospital wards. If required, we carry the ballot box from room to room to facilitate voting. To find out if there will be mobile polls in your residence, ask the administrator or call Elections Canada at 1-800-463-6868.

Everyone who votes must prove their identity and address.

I did not get a voter information card in the mail. What should I do?
If you did not get a voter information card, you can register at your polling place just before you go vote on election day.

What do I do if I received more than one voter information card?
Your voter information card tells you where to vote. In a few cases, a polling place address or a poll number may change after the card is issued. When that happens, Elections Canada mails you another voter information card. The new card says "Replacement Card" in the bottom right corner. Please be sure to keep the right one.

When I filed my taxes with the Canada Revenue Agency, I answered "no" to sharing my information with Elections Canada. Do I still have the right to vote?
Yes. If you are a Canadian citizen aged 18 or older, you can vote even if you answered "no" to that question. But your voter registration may not be up to date.

There are long lineups at my poll. Can I vote in a shorter line or somewhere else on voting days?
No, you are only able to vote at your designated polling station and polling place. The number of your polling station and the address of your polling place appear on the back of your voter information card. That is where you will need to vote.
Please be patient – it is not unusual for lineups to occur at one polling station in a polling place while another station is idle. The voting process has many steps. Election workers are trained to streamline procedures and minimize the wait time as much as possible.

Questions? Need help?