|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||CONTACT
- 12 December 2013 12 December 2013
(December 12, 2013 - Richmond Hill, ON)
SEIU Healthcare president Sharleen Stewart and vice-president Manny Carvalho are on a province-wide tour bringing messages of solidarity to 4,500 personal support workers who walked off the job yesterday to support their demands for justice and a living wage.
Day one kicked off with an energetic rally at Queens’ Park attended by 400 PSWs from the Toronto area. Ms. Stewart called on the provincial government to ensure homecare dollars are spent on client care rather than company profits and executive bonuses.
The itinerary for the two-day tour includes stops at local offices of Red Cross Care Partners, the for-profit company that is the largest homecare agency in the province, and Community Care Access Councils, the provincial funding agency.
Thursday, December 12
1. Belleville CCAC Office, 470 Dundas St. East (Bayview Mall)
2. Kingston RCCP Office, 2790 Princess St.
3. Bancroft CCAC Office, 1 Manor Lane
4. Peterborough RCCP Office, 700 Clonsilla Ave.
Friday, December 13
1. Woodstock RCCP Office, 77 Finkle St.
2. Cambridge CCAC Office, 73 Water St.
3. Kitchener CCAC Office, 141 Weber St.
4. Guelph CCAC Office, 450 Speedvale, Unit 201
About SEIU Healthcare
SEIU Healthcare represents more than 55,000 healthcare and community service workers across Ontario. The union’s members work in hospitals, home care, nursing and retirement homes, and community services throughout the province. SEIU Healthcare has a strong track record of improving wages, benefits and working conditions for healthcare workers, supporting the training and development needs of its members, and strengthening standards in the management and delivery of patient and client care. www.seiuhealthcare.ca
For more information: