SEIU Healthcare headquarters in Richmond Hill witnessed history unfold on September 16. Our own Organizing team hosted nine CLC affiliate unions for a day of collaboration, dialogue and learning, to encourage and uplift an inter-union exchange of ideas on organizing.
The attendees represented unions from multiple industries including:
- Service Employee International Union (SEIU)
- Canadian Union of Postal Employees (CUPEW)
- Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU)
- Public Service Alliance of Canada (PSAC)
- Ontario Nurses Association (ONA)
- United Steel Workers (USW)
- United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW)
The day was action-packed with several organizing-related discussions, activities, shared ideas, common experiences, and prominent challenges of operating as a unified labour movement in a fast-paced political and economic sphere.
SEIU invited Marc Zwelling from Vector Poll Data to share his thoughts and knowledge with the attendees on the importance of research and data metrics for successful organizing in this day and age.
The participants were buzzing with energy as they discussed union-specific initiatives, sectoral organization and the impact of recent legislation on organizers.
The day started with SEIU hosting 50 strangers, who left our Richmond Hill offices at the end of the day as a well-networked group of organizers determined to do what matters most; standing up and putting workers first!