What is it?

What is professional liability protection?

Professional liability protection (PLP) provides financial compensation for members of the public who have been harmed as a result of malpractice or negligence by a professional.

Who pays for it?

What costs does the Union cover?

The Union pays the cost of malpractice insurance which meets, and in some respects, exceeds, the requirements of the CNO.

Who is eligible?

Who is eligible to be covered by the insurance?

All nurses (RPN, RN, RNEC) who are in good standing and who work as a nurse in an SEIU Healthcare unit are eligible.

My unit was just organized, am I eligible to be covered even though I do not pay dues?

Yes, members are new units are eligible to be covered as soon as they are certified by the board, even though a collective agreement is not yet in place.

Do I need it?

Who does this new requirement affect?

All members of the General, Extended, Temporary, Emergency Assignment and Special Assignment classes are required to hold PLP. Members in those classes are accountable for ensuring they hold PLP that meets the requirements set out in By-Law 44.4.

I am working as an RPN in one facility and as an unregulated care provider (UCP) in another. Do I need PLP that will cover me for both roles?

Members of the College require PLP that will cover all of their nursing practice. Because nurses who work in different roles remain accountable to the College, they must ensure they have PLP that will cover them if a situation arises that would require them to step out of their UCP role and into a nursing one to provide nursing care.

Do I need PLP in the event I provide emergency care outside my practice setting?

The Good Samaritan Act, which speaks to the issue of health care professionals providing first aid and emergency care at the scene of an accident or in another emergency situation, applies to all health professionals, including nurses. 

I also work at a non-SEIU workplace as a nurse, does this insurance cover me there too?

Yes, the insurance covers you in all workplaces so long as you meet the requirements for coverage.

I used to belong to the RPNAO which provided insurance, do I still have to join the RPNAO?

You are not required to join the RPNAO.  However the union encourages members to maintain affiliation with the RPNAO as it is, in addition to the SEIU Nursing Division, a professional voice for nurses.

How much PLP coverage do I need to have?

The minimum coverage required is:

  • $1 million per claim for General, Temporary, Emergency Assignment and Special Assignment classes 
  • $5 million per claim for Extended Class (NPs). If your coverage includes a maximum amount that will be covered in a year, it must be at least:
  • $2 million per year for General, Temporary, Emergency Assignment and Special Assignment classes

How do I get it or renew it?

Do I need to do anything to become covered when first hired?

Nurses are advised to call the MRC to ensure coverage at the beginning of employment in an SEIU Healthcare unit.

Do I need to do anything on an ongoing basis to maintain coverage?

Yes there is an annual registration process.  In addition, as noted above, good standing must be maintained. You will need to check your email to watch for the renewal period for PLP with SEIU Healthcare. 

Am I required to pay minimum dues during leaves to maintain coverage?

Yes, keeping any minimum dues payable current is a condition for good standing.

How do I prove I have coverage?

Will I receive a document of any kind?

Certificates of Insurance will be provided by email on an annual basis, once the registration process is complete (March 18).  Certificates will be sent in May, 2016.  Certificates will only be sent by email.

Why will certificates be sent by email only?

The CNO now requires every nurse to have an email address which he or she checks regularly as a condition of registration.  Emailing certificates is faster and more cost-efficient than other means. SEIU Healthcare’s Nursing Division also wants to communicate with our nurses about professional practice best practices while updating you on changes that will impact your profession and scope of practice, as well as opportunities for you to become more involved in your union. We will do this by engaging online or by email.  

Will the College ask for proof of PLP?

The College may request proof of adequate PLP at any time. When the College requires proof from a member, it will inform the member of the specific type of proof it needs. For example, it may be a letter from an employer, confirmation of membership in an association that provides PLP, or a certificate of insurance from a private insurer. Nurses in the identified classes are required to declare that they understand their obligation to maintain PLP in accordance with the by-laws as a condition of membership.

Questions? Need help?