Why do we celebrate Purple Day?
Every year SEIU celebrates Purple Day – this year it’s July 17. Thousands of SEIU Healthcare members across Ontario dress up in crazy purple costumes and have some fun.
Purple is our colour. But Purple Day isn’t just about purple balloons, streamers, and ribbons. The day was created to remind people about the great things we can accomplish together. Did you know?
- SEIU is the eighth largest union in Canada, and the second largest union in the United States.
- SEIU has been defending the rights of healthcare workers in Ontario for over 70 years.
- SEIU was the first union in Ontario to organize a hospital in 1944.
- SEIU Healthcare is one of the fastest growing unions in Canada. The union has added over 11,000 new members over the past 11 years.
- Together we achieve political victories and fight for a just society that respects working people.
We are more than just a union that files grievances and negotiates collective agreements. We are the heart of healthcare. We strive to improve the lives of working people inside and outside the workplace.